Sunday, January 16, 2011

My fondness for leaves

Morning Glory leaves
I'm showing a photo of a quilt I finished a few years ago. It was quilted entirely with a morning glory leaf pattern. I collected the leaves, traced them onto freezer paper, then cut them out and pressed them onto the quilt top.I stitched around each leaf shape, then pulled off the freezer paper and stitched through the middle to the next leaf. The freezer paper shapes can each be used a number of times before being discarded.
 I like using leaves for a quilting motif. I love their natural beauty and variety, their colors, textures and shapes. One thing I really love about using them for quilting inspirations is that they are not all perfect, so if my stitching is a little off, well, that's okay.Sometimes I even add little "bug bites" to the edges of the leaves, as if they have been chewed by a critter.

No comments:

Post a Comment