Thursday, January 6, 2011

Giving your quilts a title

Most of the time it may not be necessary to give your quilt a name or title, but if you're entering a show, or if the quilt is for a special occasion you may want to give a bit more thought than just calling it by a block name (Bow Tie, Four Patch, etc.) Sometimes this can present as much of a challenge as selecting the colors, or picking the fabrics for a quilt. Sometimes a name will just pop into my head, and sometimes I "borrow" a title from elsewhere, a song or a movie, or some such. Recent quilts which come to mind are San Bruno Rising, a quilt I made after the disastrous explosion and fire which happened last September. I also named one Ode to Oz, to be sent to Australia for bushfire relief in 2009.
Right now I'm working on a quilt for myself, which so far has the name Winter Quilt. A bit boring, don't you think? I love the colors, and the simple pattern, and the leaft quilting motifs I'm using. Something will come to mind, and that will be it, but for now...well, maybe I'll take a walk and the name will come to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment