Monday, January 3, 2011

Loose Threads

I'm currently working on a winter quilt for my bed, which is a variation of a Diamond in a Square, typical of many Amish quilts. It has a number of borders, and I'm doing free motion quilting in each diamond, triangle, and border section. I stititched-in-the-ditch around each part of the quilt, and then I will go back to do my free-motion quilting.I'm matching the backing thread to the top thread, and this has meant many stops and starts. I have been trying to knot and tie off each pair of threads as I complete a section, or several sections, but I invariably seem to find threads which haven't been finished off. This can result in a bit of a mess on the back of the quilt, so I think it's time to sit down with a cup of tea, and really search the back of the quilt for any loose threads. And the top too, I guess.
My method is to pull top and bobbin threads to the back of the quilt, using a needle if necessary, and then tie a square knot, thread both threads into a large-eyed needle, then run the needle about an inch or so between top and quilt backing, at which point I can then finally cut the threads.This has worked well for me, but I'm always open to new ways of doing things.

No comments:

Post a Comment