Thursday, January 20, 2011

Matched pockets

I'm making a Hawaiian shirt for my brother, Rob, for his birthday. I've given him many shirts over the years, and one of the things I always feature is the matched pocket. If you look closely at the picture you can see the pocket on the shirt, which has been matched up exactly with the print. This is a design feature of the best Hawaiian shirts, and to me it presents a fun challenge to fussy cut the fabric so precisely. He didn't realize that the first shirt I made for him even had a pocket!
If you're wondering about the term "fussy cut", it refers to a precise placement of a template or pattern piece on the fabric, so that a design element of a print is featured exactly where the quilt maker wishes it to be, as opposed to just randomly cutting up the fabric.We'll explore this more at another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment