Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Choosing thread colors for quilting


Here are my three choices for thread color. I think the green shows up best .
I previously used a lot of monofilament thread for my free motion quilting, but have now switched to using other types of thread. For this quilt I'm using a  selection of Superior Threads (Masterpiece by Alex Anderson). I spent what I thought was a small fortune for five spools, but it's a very beautiful fine Egyptian cotton and now I consider it well worth the cost. I decided some time ago that if I was going to do all the work of free-motion quilting that I really wanted the stitches to show up, and not blend into the background. This quilt has been a bit of a learning curve for me, with every section featuring more detailed quilting, and better color choices. I double-stitched the veins in the leaf, and now I think that double-stitching around the edges would be an improvement. Whether that will happen I have yet to decide.
Here is the quilted leaf design

No comments:

Post a Comment