Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Where do I purchase my quilt fabrics?

I know many quilters who will only buy fabrics at quilt shops, but I'm not one of those. I realize that when you pay $8-$10 a yard for fabrics (or more sometimes) you will expect to be getting the very best quality fabric. I frequent some of the larger chain stores as well, and I often buy small pieces of fabric at the monthly boutique at my quilt guild. I realize that the quality will not always be the same, but I haven't run into too many problems doing this. Sometimes a manufacturer will print the same print onto very different quality greige goods (the term for the un-printed, un-dyed fabric), so unless you're looking at the fabric with a magnifier you can't be sure of the thread count. You can usually tell what kind of quality you're getting after the fabric is washed. If you find you lose all the body in the fabric once the sizing is gone, then you may want to reconsider using it. I've also found the opposite problem, which is when the fabric remains very stiff even after washing. These are just some of the many things you must take into consideration when selecting fabrics.
I once used a beautiful print for the border of a quilt which faded dreadfully after the second washing. It was from what I would consider a high-end manufacturer, and I was hugely disappointed. Luckily for me the  quilt was not a large one, nor one that I had given away. I ended up appliqueing another fabric over the top of the entire border, which was quite a bit of work. I still sigh when I think of how beautiful that first print was!

No comments:

Post a Comment