Friday, February 18, 2011

An early quilt

 Here is a quilt top which I started making some time in the early 70's. I put some of the blocks together a few years ago, with this being one of the results. These were "orphan" blocks which have been around for many years. This is truly a scrap quilt, with fabrics from my high school dresses, costumes from plays, and a couple of ties made for a close friend.This still needs to be quilted. What I'm trying to show is that even the most primitive quilts can have their charms.
 As you can see, I knew about fussy cutting before I knew it had a name. Nice selection of fabrics! (?) I have no idea where that bright blue floral came from, but it wasn't mine.
Here's a detail of an embroidered design. I used to do quite a lot of hand embroidery, and I wish I still had some of my best work, which unfortunately was given to a somewhat unappreciative boyfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment