Sunday, February 27, 2011

The color yellow in quilts

When I was selling sewing machines a few years back, I worked in a stand-alone department inside a busy fabric store. I was able to work on quilts between helping customers, and I always enjoyed interacting with people, whether they were interested in my wares or not. I had many lively conversations with other quilters, and heard many stories I wouldn't have had access to elsewhere. One of the items of interest I heard more than once was that you should never use the color yellow in a quilt. One lady told me that her grandmother had said it was considered bad luck. This surprised me greatly, as I've heard other quilters say that you should always put some yellow into a  quilt.
I had also heard that the Amish never used yellow in their quilts, but of course that's not true.
I think that many people are not sure how to use yellow, and can be intimidated by it. It is, after all, a very strong color, which can denote many things, among them warmth, and summer.  Used well, it can bring sparkle to a quilt. It can be fabulously paired with a clear blue for stunning results. On the other hand, it can get lost if paired with white.
 I believe the study of color is critical for successful design. Color can be used to express emotions and feelings, and the knowledge of the effects of color on one's psyche is an invaluable tool with which to work. Learn whatever you can about color, and you will no longer be intimidated by it.One of my very favorite books is Joen Wolfrom's The Magical Effects of Color. Joen has written a number of books on the subject, and she has so much great information to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment