Wednesday, February 23, 2011

An old quilt top

 Here are some pictures of an old quilt top I purchased at our guild boutique a few years ago. It was hung up on a wall, and an announcement was made that this and another old top were for sale for $10 each. When I spotted that black and white star from across the room I knew I just had to have it.
I think it may have been stitched together mid-twentieth century or so (Depression Era, perhaps?)but I really have no idea. At some point, probably in the 70's some chunks were cut out of one side, presumably to make pillows or some such.
 I was unable to find this exact block in any of my books, including Maggie Malone's book, 5,500 Quilt Block Designs. I did find a couple of blocks which were close, one called Anna's Choice, and another called Margaret's Choice, so I've named the block Ann-Margret's Choice.
This is a very beautiful though humble quilt, and one day I'll pay proper tribute and make a copy of it. For now it awaits, neatly folded, among other textiles in my cupboard.
The blocks are machine stitched, and the maker sewed four blocks together and then put the pieced pink and white sashing around them. The pink and white is very near and dear to my heart, and reminds me of my grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment