Friday, February 11, 2011

A gift from a friend

My friend Mary Jane gave me a most beautiful book yesterday, Show Way, by Jacqueline Woodson, and illustrated by Hudson Talbot. It tells the story of the ancestors and descendants of an African American girl named Soonie. Quilts feature prominantly in the story, and M J said she just had give it to me. From the minute I opened the cover I was in love with the book. I'm savoring it, and even though it's a children's book I haven't gotten all the way through it yet, except to look at the pictures.
I have to say, upon reading some reviews that the book is not without controversy, but I think that just adds more interest. Find it, if you can, and I think any quilter would be delighted to have it in her library. One of the things I most enjoyed was that the story was told through the lives of the women.I also found myself picking out various quilt blocks in the book and finding the ones I've made.
Thanks, Mary Jane!
I've always said that the best gifts are ones which reinforce the recipient's own personal belief about who they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment