Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Quilters' little bit of the blues

I'm not talking about the color blue. When I was younger, in my teens I was privileged to see many rock and roll shows, at Winterland in San Francisco, as well as other venues.  There were  always musicians on the bill besides the headline acts, and sometimes they would be well-known blues artists. When I was fifteen or so, I didn't get their music at all, and I just thought it was too sad. As I matured in life I realized more and more how much these songs and tunes meant, and spoke to me directly. I saw the great blues guitarist Albert King as a youth, but didn't "get" him. Now I think I understand what he and others were saying.
 I realize that there are many messages in old quilts, if we choose to see them and try to understand them.Beginning quilters might not be able to see those messages, but they're there if we take the time to study and learn from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment