Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Make one quilt block first

If you're using a new quilt pattern for the first time, try making up one quilt block first, before you commit yourself to a lot of fabric and time.Make a block out of scraps you have on hand, to see if there are any problems with the instructions. If you have drafted the quilt block yourself, or are getting the pattern from a book or magazine, you want to make sure that the entire thing fits together as it's supposed to. One other consideration is do you even enjoy putting that block together? If it's frustrating, or too time consuming, or you simply don't like it for whatever reason, chances are that you will not be finishing that quilt.I've just drafted a new block for myself, even though I have the pattern in a book. I wanted to give myself the challenge of doing the math. Now I'll cut out my pattern pieces and try to figure the best and fastest way to cut them out. I can also figure my yardage. But before I commit to buying any more fabric, I will cut and sew one block. Hopefully I'll enjoy the process.
Meanwhile, here's another little pink flower for you to enjoy. Notice the ragged little blossom in the corner. Less than perfect, yet it still has pretty colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment