Sunday, March 20, 2011

Quilters' little challenges

I believe that quilters have always, throughout time, challenged themselves.We often participate in quilt challenges now, where we are given certain guidelines or restrictions to follow.I can imagine a woman living in decades past, who would have time for sewing some patchwork in the evenings saying to herself, "I think I can make one of these blocks in an evening. If I need 63 blocks, I should be able to make all of them in two month's time." That would have been her challenge to herself. Another type of challenge would have been to make the thirteen quilts which would have traditionally been a goal to have finished before marriage.
Here is a version of the Le Moyne Star which I referenced in my post The Quilt Show (March 9, 2011). I drafted it last week, for the challenge of doing the math, and figuring out the angles. I've decided I wanted to do a hand-piecing project, and this is perfect. I will need to tweak the size of the triangle at the top of the star, but otherwise the pieces seem to be fitting together pretty well. This type of traditional block is very much better suited to hand piecing because of all the short seams. Only 62 1/2 more blocks to finish! And no, I certainly don't expect to have them done in two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment