Sunday, March 13, 2011

Tools of the trade


Here are some of the tools I use to draft quilt blocks. This is something which I really enjoy doing, and can be an extremely valuable tool for re-creating old quilts for which there is no pattern. Included are a 2" gridded ruler, protractor, triangles and a mechanical pencil, which can all be found at office supply stores. The 12 1/2" square ruler is an indispensable tool, not only for drafting, but for cutting quilt pieces. The 45 and 60 degree lines are useful as well.And of course, very few quilters can work without chocolate. In this case it is locally produced Ghirardelli, one of my own personal favorites. If you ever get to San Francisco, or bring visitors there, be sure to visit Ghirardelli Square, and the chocolate factory (http://www.ghirardelli.com/), where you can see the chocolate being made.
I usually use graph paper on which to draft my blocks, but if the block is going to be larger than 8 1/2" x 11", then I will often use a large piece of newsprint paper or vellum.

No comments:

Post a Comment