Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Pressing Matters

I usually try to press my quilt from the front, using a dry iron. This helps to eliminate the little creases you sometimes get along the seamline. "Setting the seam", or pressing the seam as it has been stitched, before opening the piece out helps to maintain the integrity of the shape. Many times a seam can become stretched out while sewing. Pressing from the front also has the advantage of seeing exactly how the piece looks. I always pull out any little threads which have made their way out from the seamline. If you do this every time you press you will end up with a quilt which is free of those little annoyances. You will save yourself a lot of time and frustration if you take this very small step.
When a quilt top is completed I will generally go over it with the iron one more time and use a bit of steam if I need to, to smooth out any creases or coax the quilt into a more squared off shape if needed.
We generally think of quilting as sewing, and often don't think too much about the art of pressing correctly, which is every bit as important for a successful quilt.
Besides, now that I'm living in a household with others, I realize that pressing is quieter than digging out the sewing machine. I have to plan my time much more carefully these days. No more waking up and running to the machine first thing in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment