Friday, December 31, 2010

To preshrink your fabric or not

Most of the time when I purchase fabrics for my quilts I will pre-shrink them. I tend to buy only 100% cottons, and as the thread count* can vary a great deal. I believe that shrinking the fabric before it's cut up for quilting can save a lot of unnecessary problems down the line, especially if this is a quilt which will actually be used and washed. If I was making a small quilt for a wall hanging this wouldn't matter so much, but most of my quilts are intended to keep someone warm.
I do make some smaller quilts for wall hangings, but I will have pre-shrunk those fabrics anyway, because I will most likely use the fabrics in other quilts as well.
The main issue which can arise if fabrics are not shrunk prior to use is that combinations of different thread count fabrics can shrink at different rates once a quilt is finished, and the result can be uneven puckering, and a less than flat quilt top.
I realize that pre-shrinking fabric means ironing it also before use, but that is an extra step I'm willing to take to ensure success.
The only time this has become a real issue for me is when I've received some "orphan" blocks, or quilt blocks made by another, which I will make into a quilt top, usually for charity. In these cases, if I'm combining them with fabrics from my stash I just have to take a chance, and hope for the best.
Generally when I buy fabric it goes right into the laundry hamper, and I will just toss it in the next time I do a wash load. I tend to wash in warm water, and will then put everything into a hot dryer. This will also get rid of excess sizing in the fabric. If I need to just pre-shrink a small piece of fabric I will just put it in the kitchen sink with a tiny bit of detergent, agitate it a bit, then rinse it and let it dry before pressing.
I haven't come across any problems by taking the above precautions.

*Thread count is the number of vertical and horizontal threads in a woven fabric. You have probably heard the term used to refer to high thread count bed sheets. For quilting, a very high thread count is not considered desirable, as those fabrics are more difficult to sew through with a needle. For this reason, a bed sheet is not considered a good option for a quilt backing.

No comments:

Post a Comment