Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A trip to San Francisco

One of the best Christmas gifts I received this year was from my friend Shirley, who took me to San Francisco to the de Young Museum to see the current exhibit Van Gogh, Gauguin, Cezanne and Beyond Post Impressionist Masterpieces from the Musee D'Orsay. (Whew! Quite a mouthful!) Vincent van Gogh is probably my very favorite artist, and he must be the favorite of many others as well, because there were long waits to get up close to see the half dozen or so of his paintings. It was well worth it, though, because one would have to travel to Paris to see those paintings in future.
As a quilter I try to take my inspirations from whatever sources I can, and this show was packed with ideas to carry with me for a long time to come. Other featured artists were Renoir, Rousseau, Signac and Seurat, as well as an amazing portrait by American artist John Singer Sargent. I had no idea there were so many artists who worked in the pointillist style, and of course as a quilter one can appreciate all those little dots of color.
I try to find inspiration for my work every day, and I think so many other quilters do too. Sometimes it can be a visual clue, or even an event which happens which just cries out, "Now there's a quilt." Of course, then you have to do the work to actually turn it into a quilt, but that's half the fun, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment